Want to make a donation without participating?
We thank you for your support! Please click the button below to make a donation.
Epilepsy, Mental Health, and Covid-19
Approximately 1/3 of individuals living with epilepsy suffer from significant impairment of their emotional well-being during typically day-to-day living; this is specifically due to their disease and the life-factors that surround it.
Recently, we’ve seen a startling increase of those with epilepsy in Simcoe County who are experiencing high amounts of depression and anxiety due to Covid-19. The last place that those with the disease want to be during this time is in the Emergency Department after experiencing a seizure, and they’re reporting that they’re having difficulty seeing their doctor to talk about their mental health.
How Your Donation / Participation Will Help
We’re designing a web-based platform and support service to help those with epilepsy (and their caregivers) with the increased depression and anxiety experienced during this difficult time. This program will not only help the approximately 4,589 currently in need, but it will also be strategically set up for the expected 2nd Covid-19 wave, and future outbreaks that Health Officials have stated is a guarantee.
Money raised during the Get Moving! Campaign will be used to promptly care for those with epilepsy who are experiencing the increase in mental health symptoms, in addition to creating the online program specific to Covid, mental health, and epilepsy, and the support afterward as vulnerable populations go through our program.
Here’s How To Get Involved in Get Moving!
- Register by clicking one of the buttons below to join and Get Moving!
- Fundraise around a specific fitness goal for yourself; for example, raise money for how many kilometres you’re going to walk, run, canoe, skateboard, or swim.
- You have 4 weeks to get your challenge(s) in; commit to 1 day, 1 week, or more. It’s up-to-you.
- You can challenge your friends online (who can get more km in, for example). Upload your photos to social media and tag us (using the handle @getmoving4esc) ; we’ll be sure to share if you give us permission to. Don’t forget to use one (or all) of the following hashtags: #getmovingcharitychallenge4esc, #gymcharitychallenge4esc, yogacharitychallenge4esc
- Follow the safety guidelines outlined by the Province. DO NOT gather with more than 10 friends to participate, and be sure to participate at a safe distance from each other.
- Are you part of a gym? Be sure to include your home workouts!
- We have Themed Days that will be occurring throughout the Challenge; check out the list below and tag us (or send your pictures / videos to us through email) and we’ll upload them on the appropriate day. Be sure to follow us on social media to gain some inspiration!
- For questions or comments, please contact Shawna Bailey, Executive Director at Epilepsy Simcoe County (705) 737-3132 / email@example.com
Ready to Join?
- Click one of the buttons below to be taken to the registration page.
- Set a fundraising goal for yourself.
- Share your fundraising link of social media and start raising money for epilepsy and mental health.
- Finally, be sure to follow us on Facebook.
Thursday, June 18th: Dump the Pump Day
Friday, June 19th: Sauntering Day
Sunday, June 21st: International Yoga Day & Go Skateboarding Day
Wednesday, June 24th: Swim a Lap Day
Friday, June 26th: Canoe Day (Please wear PFD and observe all safety regulations)
Saturday, July 4th: Hop a Park Day
We get it! If you’re not sure if you want to commit, we invite you to join us in our Facebook Group to see what others are doing (maybe it will inspire you!).